Every year around 200,000 kiwis get food poisoning. Around half these cases occur in homes just like yours. Campylobacter food poisoning is the most common cause.
You can stop your family from becoming ill by following the three Cs – clean, cook, chill.
What is Campylobacter?
Campylobacter bacteria naturally occurs in the gut of animals and birds, especially chickens. You and your family can get sick from Campylobacter if you don’t follow good food safety practices at home when preparing raw chicken.
Campylobacter bacteria can quickly multiply to toxic levels and spread unless you stop it from growing.
Symptoms of Campylobacter poisoning include:
- headaches and fever
- abdominal cramps or pain
- muscle pain.
If you or your family is suffering from any of these symptoms, you must see your doctor.
Preventing Campylobacter food poisoning
Remember the three Cs:
Before you prepare food and after handling raw meat:
- wash hands, chopping boards, dishes, and utensils (like knives) in hot, soapy water
- dry them properly. Preferably air dry and not with a towel.
- Cook food (especially chicken and mince) thoroughly all the way through until the juices run clear.
- Reheat until hot. (Warm does not kill bacteria. Hot does.)
To stop bacteria growing in your food:
- cover and put in the fridge
- keep cooked and raw food separate
- don’t leave food out. Refrigerate within 2 hours or bin it. If in doubt – throw it out.
Clean, cook, chill will prevent your family from becoming ill from Campylobacter food poisoning.